The Stam Audio 1073EQ is the finest replica of the legendary british channel strip available on the market today.
With several other brands attempting to clone this vintage design, we decided to go the extra mile. We pride ourselves in delivering the most authentic replica and numerous endeavours have been made to achieve the original character making us confident in saying that you will not find this level of component quality and craftsmanship in any other offering at this price range. When it comes to components, almost correct or similar will not do. We use the right components, and the result is the right sound.
The first step was to obtain a replica of the original Marinair LO1166 output transformer found on the original units. In a joint effort with Brian Sowter from Sowter transformers in the UK, the Sowter B1540 was born, an exact replica respecting the original laminations, ratio and frequency response of the Marinair, exclusive to Stam Audio.
Secondly, we decided to add what others were missing: the Carnhill line input transformer to connect your Synths and Bass’ directly into the unit, bypassing this transformer or using a padded mic input will not yield the same result and tone.
Lastly, there are the small details which make the largest contribution to the finished sound. We made the extra effort to source critical components, such as the BC184C transistors, Philips capacitors, carbon resistors and most importantly a Toshiba 2N3055 output transistor, which all hugely contribute to the unit’s sound and character.
Feature-wise The Stam Audio 1073 EQ features a high pass filter, a switchable low shelf, a switchable mid band, a fixed high frequency band, DI, POL, 48V and impedance switch.
Due to the unique coloration of this unit, your recordings will benefit from the recognisable warmth of the original, which is described by many as deep and incredibly detailed. There is a reason these units have been the most popular choice in studios for the past 50 years. They create the sonic footprint we associate with professional recordings.
ZERO COMPROMISE. SURPRISINGLY AFFORDABLE.
Stam Audio Engineering products are about sound quality first and foremost. Every component of every unit is premium quality and carefully selected to ensure our units match or even surpass the quality of high end boutique gear.
3 versions will be available
1) Carnhill output transformer, no Line input transformer
2) Sowter output transformer, no Line input transformer
3) Sowter output transformer with Line input transformer
All Input and Line input transformers are Carnhill, all units include Blore Edward switches.
Unlike other offerings on the market this replica respects the original circuit and components. The differences, in order of importance are listed below:
1) A Carnhill line input transformer.
2) A proper Marinair LO1166 output transformer replica custom made for us by Sowter transformers in the UK.
3) A Toshiba 2N3055 output transistor (not ST)
4) Allen Bradley Carbon comp resistors (as were used in the 70’s)
5) BC184C Transistors (not BC550)
6) Philips capacitors as per the original (not Chinese capacitors)
The Stam Audio 1073 EQ will be completely hand made in Chile. This is the only way we can manufacture them with these type of essential components.
- • Carnhill input and output transformers
- • Optional Sowter output transformer
- • Carnhill inductors
- • Blore Edward Dual Concentric Switches
- • Allen Bradley Resistors
- • BC184C transistors
- • Tantalum and Polystyrene capacitors
- • Vishay/BC capacitors
- • Marconi style knobs
- • Toshiba-Motorla 2N3055 output transistor
- • Completely discrete signal path
- • 80dB of Gain
- • Trim
- • Marconi style knobs
- • 48V phantom power
- • Impedance selection (300 – 1200 ohms)
- • XLR inputs
- • XLR and TRS outputs
- • Internal power transformer (115V or 230V)
- • Hand made in Chile
- • 2-year warranty